Progress on my Neutral Quilt
The weather outside has been wet and horrible all weekend, I have snuggled inside with the fire going, a casserole in the crockpot and worked on this quilt. As I sew the blocks on this quilt and organize the layout, it is always amazing to me how, a quilt starts to take on a mind of it's own. I always have a rough idea of how I want the finished quilt to look, and sometimes I map out the entire quilt before I start. In this case I just started making blocks with a rough idea of the finished size. I have made a few decisions along the way, so here is my progress so far.
After making the first two block set, I decided it needed something.
So I added sashings.
Notice the corner squares are a red print, I love the sashing fabric but not sure about the corner squares. Starting to take shape after a few more blocks have been added.
But....... still not right so I changed the layout. I also added taupe squares.... still deciding which squares I like best. Which colour do you like ?
I love the way beautiful parts of the fabric come out when it is cut into pieces. Love this bird.
And this gorgeous Red flower
Here's where it is at the moment.
Now I am thinking about adding a border, will it be an overall floral or maybe a selection of floral fabrics pieced. Will it be appliqued, or maybe appliqued hexagon flowers as this is my latest addiction. I think an old worldly look is what I am going for. ( French Farmhouse remember ) I apologize if some of the photos are a bit blurry, I have taken them with my iphone.
It is still raining today, so I am off the light the fire and get started on some more blocks.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Sharon Keightley Quilts - Quilty Ramblings
It's been such a long time since I posted, I am going to start today off with a post about the Zig-Zag border I am making for my Roses quilt.
There are many ways to make a Zig-Zag border, I have chosen to use half square triangles.
Here's how it works.
I cut 2 1/2 inch strips from a dark print and a light print then matched the light and dark print fabrics with right sides facing. I used a half square triangle ruler to cut out the pieces. Taking them to the sewing machine and sewing them together with a 1/4 inch seam. I like this method, it's fast and requires very little trimming.
The Roses quilt is coming along nicely, I have been squeezing in time over the weekend to stitch the applique Roses onto the third border and I can see the quilt starting to take shape. Today I hope to have the third border stitched in place and start prepping the fourth border of Roses. This will complete the center of the quilt. From there I have a vague idea of what will come next, I am hoping it will come clearer to me as I progress.
This morning I am sewing the border fabrics together for the top and bottom borders of the Roses quilt. I have selected and range of tone on tone prints some light and some with a little bit of colour to give a bit of interest. I love to mix up the fabrics, using a large selection. Something I find helpful when piecing the strips is to pin at least the end of the seam so the fabrics don't shift while you are sewing and end up with one end longer than the other.