Well I have had a busy time sorting out my sewing space. This has all come about due to problems with my sewing machine. My poor Phaff expression 4.0 is in the sewing machine hospital, I am really really missing it, it will be away for at least ten days. That's a long time and a big sewing with-drawl. As you know from my previous post I have had problems when trying to machine quilt. The bobbin case would jump out of position and it would make a noise that ran chills down my spine. ( Has anyone else had this happen ? I would love to hear from you ) I thought it was something I had been doing wrong and persevered with anything and everything to try to solve the problem. Blaming the thread of course ! it could never be human error. I then gave up on it all together and pulled out my trusty Bernina 440QE. This caused another problem as I did not have enough room to set the Bernina up permanently in my sewing room, soooooooo I thought about this with great frustration and then took the plunge and brought a new larger Grande Sewezi table ooooh I love it, GREAT table!!!!!!!
But all was still NOT well, I then started doing some applique on my Phaff thinking it would be fine, but alas the same problem started happening which I have never had a problem doing applique before so I knew then it could not be my fault. It had to be the machine. By this time I was already looking at sewing machine catalouge's thinking about crossing over to the other side............ After speaking to the repair man I now hope my faith can be restored and that I when I get my machine back she purr's like a new one. In the mean time I am pushing on with my little Bernina, it is taking some patience to get used to this little machine again but one thing it always works and works well.
As the tittle says, organizing my space. Well with the new table there was some sorting out and moving of furniture, books, fabrics etc to be done to get the table fitting perfectly. I am really happy with the outcome and love having both machines within easy reach. This will mean I will be able to have a quilt being quilted and not have to change the settings when I want to have a change and do some piecing and applique work.
Take a look at the before and after shots of my sewing room. Looking at the before shots I thought I was never going to get there, you know how you get half way and wonder What was I thinking............ Haha But it was soooo worth it, if only to get this lovely new table.
Have I really got that many books ? Yes I do and I read them all haha
Here is the after picture, Much better.
It has Rosie's approval. Still a few things needing to find a place, but all in all pretty good.
Now that's done I have been able to get on with my quilt, and I am spending the rest of the day blissfully quilting.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
This morning I find myself with too many quilts in progress at one time! They are all at a stage that they can be worked on and I love them all !
The first one is the BOM 2018 which I have almost finished the quilting, I only have the very last border to finish. If you missed this last year, you can find the full pattern for this quilt here.
These are just a few of the things that I got up to in 2018. There is more to come but I am not able to tell you just yet. I will keep you all posted when I am able to spill the beans. Lot's of secret sewing has been going on.
New patterns are coming along, so in the New Year there will be some surprises.
The Full version of the Winterwood Pattern is now available as a full pattern containing everything you need to complete the whole quilt. The Winterwood quilt pattern can be found here containing 71 pages. This is one of my favorite quilts, I loved every minute of making this beautiful quilt. Sometimes everything seems to go along so smoothly when designing and making a quilt, this quilt was one of those times.
It's been such a long time since I posted, I am going to start today off with a post about the Zig-Zag border I am making for my Roses quilt.
There are many ways to make a Zig-Zag border, I have chosen to use half square triangles.
Here's how it works.
I cut 2 1/2 inch strips from a dark print and a light print then matched the light and dark print fabrics with right sides facing. I used a half square triangle ruler to cut out the pieces. Taking them to the sewing machine and sewing them together with a 1/4 inch seam. I like this method, it's fast and requires very little trimming.