Neutral Quilt / Birds in the Air Block
My blocks are piling up ! It's time to start sewing the quilt together.
Progress has been smooth going so far on this quilt. Mixing up the fabrics gives it an interesting look. I have changed my mind about size several times and have made far too many blocks, there will be enough for another design.. Until I got to the border !!!!
Finding a fabric for the set in triangle border has been a challenge ! The piece of fabric I had in mind is a fraction too small. So........ back to the design drawing board. I decided to sleep on this.......... it's always better to think out a problem in the morning. I have come up with an option I like, it also helps the fabric go further. As usual when this happens, I like this idea much better then my original plan. Glad I made all those extra blocks, almost like it was supposed to be this way. That's what I love about designing quilts is you never completely know the end result. I always have an idea, plan, or concept of what I want to achieve to begin with. But !!! somewhere through the process decisions need to be made that can change the whole outcome. Oh what fun ! Here is my selection process.
[caption id="attachment_2168" align="aligncenter" width="267"]
Trial border fabric, too light ![/caption]
[caption id="attachment_2166" align="aligncenter" width="283"]
Trial border options, too many fabrics[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_2171" align="aligncenter" width="340"]
Final decision on border options[/caption]
I hope you can see, I have placed a block in the border, in between the setting triangles. This made my border fabric go a little further and I was able to use the fabric that was a fraction too small. This fabric is the same tone as the rest of the quilt and really looks so much better then the lighter one. I also like the look of the quilt better with the added blocks, it makes it a bit more interesting.
Now to baste my quilt. I am looking forward to the quilting. Already thinking of what design I will quilt.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Sharon Keightley Quilts - Quilty Ramblings
I can finally tell you all what has been keeping me so quiet !........ Iv'e been working really hard on projects for a book. I am so happy to show you the cover of my new book (Autumn Bouquet) coming out in August this year. Its been such a wonderful experience, something I have always wanted to do. It is filled with a great selection of projects with a range of small and large quilts, with applique techniques explained in detail. I will be so proud to place this book on my shelf along with all the other quilt books I own.
Last week we had a scheduled power cut for our area, meaning I could not do any quilting on the Roses quilt. This was the perfect time to pull my fabrics out and sort through them, folding them nicely and organizing them into colour baskets. I have been meaning to resort them for a while now. This was a great way to get reacquainted with my fabrics, finding all those precious fabrics that just make my heart race. Giving me ideas for my next project, another journey! Benny decided that would be fun and he loves to help, I think he secretly wants to be a quilter too.
I am now starting to quilt the Roses quilt. I am really enjoying quilting this one, today I am stitching in the ditch around all the applique parts to make them stand out. I am using a very fine 100 weight polyester thread. A selection of Wonderfil invisifil and Superior Micro quilter. I am using a selection of colours to match the colour of each applique shape.